Translate

Friday, August 2, 2013

Give Thanks


"Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone"
                                                                G.B.Stern


Do you complain when you receive bad service?

Most likely you do.

We all do because we want to see a wrong set right.

But do you also call or write a letter when you receive good service?

I do. Why do I do it?

Because I like to reward good behavior, and encourage it to continue.

I called two places of business last week, one a bank, the other a well known chain of restaurants,
to commend them on their excellent customer service.

The Vice President of the Bank was so surprised that I had taken the time to call for a compliment, and not a complaint, that he was speechless.

The restaurant manager I called was also delighted and could not give me a coupon for a free meal
fast enough! Although this was appreciated and unexpected, I didn't call to receive something in
return.

What I did receive was the joy in making someone's day and their efforts being recognized and acknowledged.

Studies have shown that human beings crave recognition and appraise, above sex and money, surprising but true. Most people don't leave a job because of money, (or lack thereof), but the lack
of respect and recognition of their dedication and hard work.

All it takes is a simple thank you.

Is there someone you need to thank today?

Don't be afraid that there's no money involved, a heart-felt thank you, verbal or written, will suffice.

If you are going to write something I suggest a hand written note instead of typed. People will often forget what you said or did, but they will never forget how you made them feel. It feels great to open a card for no apparent reason other than to say thank you.

In giving thanks you will be surprised at what good returns to you in kind.

Pay it forward, you'll be glad you did.

No comments: