Translate

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Overcoming Adversity


"All misfortune is but a stepping stone to fortune"
                                                                    Henry David Thoreau


As human beings we will all face adversity at one time or another in our lives. It is not what happens to us but how we handle these situations that will determine our fate.

If you are one of those people who get bent out of shape at the slightest of grievances, how are you going to handle life when something tragic strikes? It is not a case of ""if but "when". We will all lose someone we love at some time or another.

The way you handle any adversity is to have faith. Have faith that you will be strong enough to handle whatever happens to you or those you love.

When my Dad passed away suddenly last year my life changed in an instant. Immediately the day to day struggles of life melted away and all I could think of was how to get back home to England as fast as possible to be there with my family. I didn't think of anything else.

Two hours later I was booked on a flight leaving the next morning and my case was packed.

I didn't think of the expense or the ramifications of being gone for weeks. I thought of all the opportunities I had missed to tell my Dad how much I loved, admired and respected him for the great man he was.

That opportunity had now gone forever and I was left with nothing but memories.

My faith carried me through the tough times. As awful as it was losing him so suddenly I was grateful that he didn't suffer. That I could not bear.

Instead I was grateful I had Barry Gray as my father. He could never leave me as long as he remained in my heart and I would never miss another opportunity to tell those I love what they meant to me.

What are you holding onto today? Who do you need to forgive? Who do you need to say thank you to? What do you need to let go of?

If you are facing adversity today, use it as a tool to make you stronger and know that whatever happens to you, it is all about your soul growth.

After all, if we don't learn anything from our journey, why are we here?

Have faith, stay strong and anything is possible.

No comments: